A partnership in 1920 between Edward F. Regenhardt and William H. Harrison's led to what is today Delta Companies Inc. The partnership worked throughout the states of Missouri, Illinois and Arkansas building roads and crushing rock locally for the construction jobs.
William Harrison's sons, Arthur, Charles and Edward and Regenhardt's sons, Ted, Edward and William, Sr., took over ownership of the company in the 1930s. In the early 1950s, ownership passed to Donald L. Harrison and William Regenhardt, Jr., Thomas Regenhardt and Joe Regenhardt.
The company became one of the largest concrete paving companies in the Midwest between 1952-1966 due to its work on many miles of interstate highways in Missouri and Illinois. In August 1959, the company paved over a linear mile in one day on I-57 in Scott County, MO, becoming only the ninth highway-paving contractor in the nation achieves such an accomplishment.
In 1962, Delta Asphalt, Inc., was formed to provide the Missouri market with asphalt and contracting services. Southeast Missouri Stone Company was established in 1964 providing aggregates for the region. During the mid 1960s, as the interstate program ended for the area, the company began converting from predominantly concrete construction into the vertically integrated company it is today - asphalt, ready-mix and aggregates.
From 1966-1980, a division of the Delta Companies, the D.L. Harrison Company built five sections of the Pan American Highway in the republics of Guatemala and El Salvador. Terrorism activities in El Salvador prompted the sale of the company to a local business in 1980.
New Orleans needed the company's services in the 1980s. The streets in the city's famed French Quarter required resurfacing before the World's Fair and the Delta Companies provided most of the project work.
Delta Concrete was formed in 1987 and the Delta Companies entered the ready mix business. In 1998, they expanded, adding additional ready mix plants.
In 1993, the companies became part of COLAS, Inc., based in Morristown, N.J. Since then, the Delta Companies have grown significantly - starting with the 1997 purchase of Baughn Construction in Arkansas, which added asphalt plants in Tuckerman and Black Rock.
Clinton Materials Companies were purchased in 1999, adding six ready mix plants in Southeast Missouri, a limestone quarry in Williamsville, MO, and Brown Sand & Gravel in Dexter.
In 2002, Delta Asphalt of Arkansas purchased two additional asphalt plants in Searcy and Heber Springs and a construction operation.
In 2009, Heartland Asphalt Materials was started after leasing two facilities located in New Madrid, Missouri and Memphis, Tennessee. The primary focus for Heartland Asphalt Materials is the production of emulsion and cutback products used for pavement preservation and maintenance applications.